Those of you who have visited Small Hope Bay Lodge know that this soup is famous! Guests are always asking for the secret to the wonderfully delicious masterpiece Irene has created. So now here it is, I give to you the coveted recipe so you can bring a little bit of Small Hope home with you. Enjoy!!
You Will Need: recipe makes 1 gallon pot, adjust ingredients for desired amount
4 slices of bacon
2 medium onions
2 celery pieces from the stalk
1 sweet pepper
10 cans kidney beans
water, as needed
4 tbsp chicken base (flavor)
1 cup heavy cream
slurry (4tbsp cornstarch, 1 cup water)
thyme, to taste
pepper, to taste (preferably fresh picked peppers, such as goat or habanero)
salt, to taste
- Puree bacon in a food processor until very fine. Cook in soup pot on low heat.
- While bacon is on, puree onions, celery, carrot and sweet pepper to same texture. Add to pot and continue to cook on low heat.
- Puree kidney beans as well to same texture and add to pot, heat slightly.
- Add enough water to pot so that contents equal 1 gallon
- Turn heat to high, bring to boil and then reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 45 minutes.
- Add heavy cream, bring back to a boil and cook for 5 min more.
- Add slurry and thicken, cook 5 minutes.
- Add thyme and peppers, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Adjust taste with salt.
Pin It Now!